Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] wlslaton@yahoo.com is offline

Default Do we need a water softener or filter or ????

Robert Gammon wrote:
sandy wrote:
This is the first time we've had a well so I know nothing about what
filters, softeners, etc. I should be looking at (if any). We just had
the water tested :

Hardness 12 GPG
PH 7.7 Units
Iron 1 ppm
Manganese .l ppm
color clear
tds 220 ppm

Our water is clear but has a slight (iron) odor when taken from the
tap. Smell seems to dissipate when allowed to sit. We drink it in
coffee, tea, chocolate without noticing any odor and only notice it
when brushing teeth (directly from tap).

We do have a yellow residue that forms in the toilet bowl and red
residue that forms in the toilet tank.

You have all the symptoms of the iron and TDS issues in the toilet and
tank. Irrespective of getting a second test, which is a good idea if
you think of a water softener, 12 grains is not bad for water hardness.
The only two issues I worry about are TDS and Iron.

TDS is MUD. You should see what the whole house water filter on CITY
water, mind you, looks like after 6 months!!!

So if you think in terms of a water softener, you don't need a expensive
one, Sears and others sell lots in the $400 range. BUT invest in a
whole house filter a 10 micron filter and change it regularly

The whole house filter will ONLY deal with TDS, it has NO effect on
ANYTHING else.

Robert: TDS is not mud. TDS is total DISSOLVED solids, like calcium,
sodium, magnesium, sulfates, carbonates, etc, It does not filter out.
Mud does. . Leo.