Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Glass for shelves

Gideon wrote:

If you want custom cut colored glass, be prepared to pay dearly.
If, in addition, you want custom cut tempered glass, you'll pay
even more.

Colored glass is a specialty item and you pay due to the fact that it isn't
carried by many sellers. Tempered glass is not stocked to be cut
by the seller - the glass must be cut first (almost always at the factory) and
then tempered. The tempering process for glass produces glass which
does not accidentally break in long straight lines, which produces those
dangerous long shards. But that process also prevents the glass from
being intentionally broken (ie, "cut") in long straight lines.

If you do spend the megabucks on this project, don't forget to include rolling
(and possibly polishing) the corners and edges of the glass before it is
tempered.

We had glass cut, tempered, to use for backsplash behind our cooktop,
with plain laminate behind it. It took two pieces because of the
up/down pattern and space wider than the sheet of glass. About 6' wide,
joint sealed with clear silicone not visible unless you really look for
it. It was cut at the local shop, sent back to mfg. to be tempered, all
edges ground. Whole deal cost fifty-something. We did this to cover up
old metal tile, and I didn't want tile and grout to clean or to tear out
the wall. Contact cement to hold laminate to tile. Clear silicone to
hold glass in place and keep moisture and dirt from getting behind it.
Works beautifully.