Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default removing red wine stain from wall

New & Improved - N/F John wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi folks, I'm new here.
I need to remove a large stain of red wine from my living room wall
(light yellowish paint).
How do I do it, short of repainting the wall?
thanks a lot.

Must've been one hell of a party. Or, argument with the spouse.

Paint is porous. I think you have to paint.

How large?

If wine was still fresh.........clean with white wine as "cleaning
solution", spray on...blot / wipe gently

I did this very succesfully with white carpet & red wine.....but I did
it within minutes of the spill.

On paint you can try the same thing but only if it is realtively fresh
(~ 1 day)

Don't rub too much, you'll damage the paint surface.

If the paint was white you can use a little Softscrub (the kind with
bleach) on a sponge.....again, rub very gently / lightly or mostly blot
& let is set so the bleach can work. This technique works great but
you've got to be careful.

With colored paint you'll have less "safety margin" but give it a
try...... the worst that can happen is you'll have to repaint plus the
more red wine you get rid of, the less bleed thru. But if you repaint
use Zinseer High Hide Cover Stain over the wine

cheers
Bob