Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ball park cost for breaker box replacement

I've been doing repair and install work for several years. Both for my
own company, and working for someone else. It's OK to say you prefer
some brand or other of parts, but it's not OK to supply your own
parts.

People who supply their own parts tend to be:

1) overcontrolling. This is the guy who will watch every thing you do,
ask too many questions, and tell you how to do your work. This is a
total PIA that contractors hate.

2) Buying the wrong parts. Most of the time, customers by the cheapest
parts they can find, which end up not fitting, or need a lot of extra
time to make them work. It's hard to get them to understand that the
cheap part is far more labor than the good part that I woulda
installed.

3) Trying to keep the price down, by cutting out the contractor's
normal and expected markup on the parts. This is the guy who buys the
cheap part on Ebay, or at the local home center, and expects the
contractor to enjoy installing cheap junk for discounted labor rates.

My suggestion is to skip the "if I supply the parts" and just call em
out for estimates.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
I'm calling around for some sort of quotes to replace my failing
circuit
breaker box and so far I've only received one estimate.

The price they quoted was about $2500 bucks roughly or $91/hour for
their
work - including permit and inspection. No other electricians want to
release their hourly rate nor provide estimates. I'm not bitter about
it,
just interested in how much money I'll have to secure to do this.

So if you had to guess, what would it cost to replace a non-grounded
circuit
breaker with a grounded circuit breaker IF I SUPPLIED THE BREAKERS AND
THE
PANEL.