Posted to misc.rural,misc.consumers.house
________@_______.com ________@_______.com is offline

Default yard light pole installation

On 2 Sep 2006 11:56:32 -0700, "CanopyCo" wrote:

Sheldon wrote:

Never install any wooden pole/post in concrete... it will heave and it
will rot. Set in gravel or sand or any material contribuing to good
drainage, then back fill with whatever soil was removed. Only metal
posts/poles get set into concrete, and even those should have good
drainage material at the bottom or they will heave. If your frost
penetration is 8' than you need to go at least that depth, especially
with wood.

What part does the frost line play?
I always thought the depts was determined by the leverage applied by
the pole.
What am I missing?

I was wondering the same thing.

I had my power company put in a pole for me.
I paid $135 (5 years ago). That included the pole and all the labor.
That sure beat all the work and hassle, and the pole alone would have
cost me around $90. There was an unused pole on my property, but they
refused to remove it and reinstall it, even though I was only using it
for an overhead wire to my barn, AFTER my meter. It was still worth
the cost to have them do it, and I have a new pole which will last
longer. I cut the old pole off and used it for corner fence posts,
and when I checked the price of fence posts, I came out ahead.

As far as depth, they placed the pole about 4 to 5 feet deep, and just
filled with the removed soil. Ten feet is wayyyyyyy more than needed,
and I dont think you will find an auger to go that deep.