Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Putting a cutter in my angle grinder?

"Toller" wrote

Great suggestion; isn't the internet incredible!
It says my idea is correct, but also says to use a guard that covers the
bottom of the disk.
As long as I have the bottom pointed away from me, that shouldn't be
critical, should it?

I recently put the guards back on my grinders. I have four. I bought a
Makita die grinder for a cut off tool that has a thin blade. Before that, I
used a thin flat blade in a 4.5" grinder. I like the die grinder much more
because it has a flat mandrel, and both of my hands are farther away from
the cutting point.

I have been welding now for 31 years. I would put an angle grinder in the
top three tools I consider to be the MOST dangerous. When they bind or jump
or shatter, it's over within 1/1000th of a second. At 14,000 rpm, that's
fourteen revolutions.

The point on the rotating device (cutting wheel, grinding disc, sander, wire
brush, flapper, whatever) at which you contact the work is critical. As
with a chainsaw, when it touches the wrong part of the rotating portion, it
can kick. Learn where that is, and give this little chainsaw all the
respect it deserves.

YMMV

Steve