Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Bad volume pot on old stereo - Replacement?

Echinos wrote:

I have an old Morse brand FM stereo / phonograph unit (model 74452 for
the extra-curious). The volume crackles horribly when I turn it up and
down. I have the pot half-disassembled and half-disconnected.

I am thinking that I can either clean it, or replace it. This is a 30+
year old stereo, so I would like to replace it, but it is a double-pot.
I've googled and such a bit, but I've not been encouraged with the
results. So, I'm back to cleaning it. I have gone through some past
posts, and it seems that while cleaning is an option, it is not
guaranteed to work for any significant period of time, if at all. I may
try to get some cleaner tomorrow, but I'd like to know what you may
think of the situation.

Details on the pot - It is labelled with the following:

Top Pot - VR-23J M 250Kohm AX2 SF J62X (or J82X, not sure)

Bottom Pot - 3A125VAC 1.5A250VAC

So, as you can see, the pot is double because the top is for volume and
the bottom is for power. It clicks when you turn it all the way CCW.
Also, one of the wires from the wall plug goes straight to one of the
terminals.

Basically, my question boils down to: Is there any hope of replacement,
or am I stuck with seeing if I can clean it?

I can post links to pictures if anyone wants a look.

Cheers.

Good luck. Those were crappy when they were new. I saw bad pots on
units that were still under warranty, back in the '70s.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida