Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,sci.physics.electromag
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie is offline

Default Understanding & Installing Your Own Solar Electric System

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 03:12:59 +0200, Sjouke Burry wrote:
wrote:
And, if we could really come up with a Bussard ramjet, and
accellerate at 1G all the way to the nearest star - well,
accellerate half-way, then decelerate, I read once that it'd
be a surprisingly short number of years' ship time, because
of that Einsteinian time dilation stuff.

Can you imagine bumping into a small rock at that speed.

Dont need a rock, a grain of sand will do
at those speeds.

Hell, at those speeds, hydrogen atoms become deadly radiation. ;-)

So, we'll need some kind of shielding in the nose. The way I'd
always envisioned it was that the magnetic field for the Bussard
scoop would take care of all that schtuff. ;-)

Thanks!
Rich