Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Maytag dishwater control board... thermistor part number ?

Homer J Simpson wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Not at all. Ask yourself what the thermistor does.

I know what it does. It is a resistor that changes value, relative
to the ambient heat. No manufacturer would use a thermistor where a
much cheaper resistor would work.

Yes, but why? Is it for a slow start? Ambient compensation? Feedback
compensation?

As a test, use a resistor. Figure out the value needed. That'll be a guide
to the thermistor to use. At this point, is it a PTC or NTC?

Go ahead and try the resistor. Don't be surprised if you do a lot
more damage to the machine. Personally, I would try to get my hands on
a couple junk boards from a repairman or another source, and hope that
its not the only part that fails. You have no idea what it does, or
what damage you can cause. I watched a tech spend three weeks trying a
resistor in a clothes dryer that was supposed to sense how dry the
clothes were, before he gave up and bought a board. If I needed one, I
would offer the local recycling place a few bucks to keep an eye out for
the same type of dishwasher, and have them call me when it showed up,
for another $10 bucks to the guy that found it. they strip the circuit
boards out of appliances when they separate the metals, and sell them by
the pound to places that legally burn the boards to recover the silver,
gold, copper and solder. If I wasn't 100% disabled, I'd visit them a
couple times a week and offer a little more per pound for boards in good
shape. I sometimes find usable parts on old appliances at the local
transfer station where I dump the used steel from computers, rather than
drive 25 miles to the main recycling center. Things like 24 VAC
transformers on old furnaces and central air units, small contactors and
thermal safety switches.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell