Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser Lobby Dosser is offline

Default OT, but someone here will know about paint.

wrote:

Jim Hall wrote:
I noticed painting metal with auto paint that more coats meant more
sheen to a point. Granted they were thin coats, but at two not much
sheen, at four a lot of sheen. I was thinking this might be a
measure of how thin the coat of paint was on tools in the store. No
soaking in on metal, I don't think.. Maybe something else at work..

More coats of finish mean more resin solids. As you build coats, more
resin solids mean a smoother finish as all the tiny, tiny voids and
imperfections are filled in, making the reflectivity of the finish
less scattered.

Robert

Seems like you would build voids at some number of coats?