Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Default MAILBOX PLATFORM

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 19:58:14 -0400, (J T) wrote:

I'll have you know I'm a pacifist, I am. And to provie it, if I
were to have another mailbox, I'd be thinking of something like a nine
foot section of well casing, with about three feet sticking out of the
ground, filled with concrete, then the mail box armoured with say half
inch plate. Let some weenie idoot bang that with a baseball bat, or try
to run over it, and that'll pacify the little sucker in a heartbeat.
I'm a people person I am.

Heh, heh. Your post gave me a pleasant flashback memory.

About 15 years ago, the village of Coolville, Ohio had a major problem at their major intersection,
which was a Y in the road. (Coolville pop. `200, no traffic lights, 3 stop signs at the time) This
Y was situated between the 3 carry-outs in the town. Every Friday night some ass would drive over
the sign, the village would drive a new post, reset the sign, and some one would drive over it the
next Friday.

A new mayor obtained a 10 foot section of 10 inch I-beam, buried it 7 feet in the ground, poured
concrete, then welded a section of regular signpost material to it, painted it dark green and rehung
the stop sign. The following Monday I stopped for gas on the way into work. The paint on the I
beam had scratch marks, and the ground was littered with broken glass, automotive grill fragments, a
light bezel, and various other souvenirs of combat. The mayor touched up the paint on the I beam,
and I don't think there has been an assault on that stop sign since. Somewhere around here I have a
picture of SWMBO standing next to the contraption.

Regards,
Roy