Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Vinyl window replacement questions.

On 15 Sep 2006 09:56:33 -0700, "TH" wrote:

I've gone through the process of getting bids, and am going to look at
some examples of
the installations, but I would like to get some of your opinions or
exerience with the different type of installation methods.

First off, I have Cedar lap siding, and am concerned about the outside
appearence of the windows.

As you should be...

I can get new construction windows put in. This will require them
cutting back the
siding, pulling out the old widow, and installing the new window with
flanges, then adding some molding around the window.

Use the "path of least damage" on the siding. Some retro windows have
molding already, certainteed is one example.

I can also go the retrofit route where they leave the original aluminum
frame in and slide the
new window into it. The outside of the window has a vinyl flanged that
goes over a little bit of the siding. This method is much cheaper and I
can save $3000 doing it this way.

The "nail fin" should be behind the siding, not over it. Moisture
wrap..think water..

Cheap ain't cheap is you get a bad install.

What do people think of either of these installation meothods. I'm
worried that the retrofit widow will not look as good on the outside
and look too plastic. I've also been told that the retrofit window is
an inferior way of replacing the window and the new construction widow
is a better way to go.

Any opinions?

Tom

Snoop around this link.