Posted to rec.woodworking
Daniel H Daniel H is offline

Default advice/guide on how to evaluate, wire, and set up fractional-horsepower motors?

Hello,

First, apologies - these questions are reeeeely basic but I've looked
online and at my local public library but I can't find any practical
information on the wiring-up and setup of small AC motors.

I have a 1/6hp split phase induction 1725rpm, and the wiring panel has
tabs onto which wires are connected via 90deg crimped-on terminal
sockets. I am aware of which line power wires need to attach to which
tabs in the wiring panel to get the thing running, but that won't tell
me if I'm doing it the right way or with the best/safest practices.

Some questions I have a
- one of the starter winding wires (red, black) is too short to reach
the other tab to reverse the rotation direction - is this normal or
should I pull on them harder?
- how would you normally attach a DPDT switch to reverse the rotation -
do you cut off the sockets and splice on another wire to extend outside
the panel? do you use the existing socket on the wire and plug in your
extension wire? something else?
- where would I ground the motor? I don't see any specific
tab/terminal/screw in the panel or on the case for the grounding
connection
- is the motor supposed to make any noises (other than the smooth sound
of the bushings) when the shaft is rotated by hand?

If there is a particular book that I should look at or an informative
website, or if you have pointers you can write me, I'd really apreciate
it.

Thanks!

- Daniel