Farmer Bill Farmer Bill is offline
Junior Member

Thanks. The cleaner tape was the first thing I tried. It didn't help.
This tape deck has had very little use over the years, which made me think the problem was an age-related problem like an aged drive belt, rather than an overuse-related problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR North
Just wait another year; should be perfect
Just kidding.
Run a cleaner cassette and see if it makes a difference.
JR

Farmer Bill wrote:

The cassette deck of my Delco model 16129923 AM/FM/Cassette deck plays
way too fast. Interestingly, last fall it played too slow, this year
it plays too fast. Also, the auto-reverse mechanism was not working
properly (tape did not change direction when I pushed the button to
change from side A to side B), but that problem seems to have gone away
now that I just replaced the drive belt. Yes, I obtained and installed
an exact match for the belt. The new one seems just a little tighter
than the old one, so it's not like the old one was completely shot. I
had hoped replacing the belt would also solve my tape speed problem,
but no such luck, although the tape isn't playing quite as fast as
before.

Someone on another site said the problem might be that the slide plate
that moves the tape head into the cassette might need lubricated. I
guess that will be the thing I attempt next, if I can figure out how to
get at the slide plate to lubricate it with a few drops of machine oil.
Or, I was told, the problem might be with the electronic motor speed
control circuit (if this deck even has one of those), in which case I
would not be able to do the repair myself.

I'm quite proud of myself for getting the darned thing out of the dash,
and then removing the cassette mechanism from the housing. I'm no
electronics expert by any means, just a do-it-yourselfer who doesn't
think I should have to pay $85/hour to repair a 13-year-old cassette
deck!