Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Sinking

Travis Jordan wrote:
Cristina62174 wrote:
Yes an inspection was done. He did metion the cracks due to settling
but I'm pretty sure settling is much different then sinking. I have a
friend who works for city hall and advised me that there is a whole
file on my house and letters that the seller wrote to the city
indicating this problem and seeking assistance from the city. So the
sellers knew however on all the forms that they had to mention of
problems the house had, they failed to mention any of this. I am so
completely upset.

You need an attorney, now. You are posting from Rhode Island, and
assuming that is where the home is located you have state laws that
require discloure of any material defects.

http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/statute...8/5-20.8-2.HTM

File suit against the seller and the real estate agent for failure to
disclose, and ask for damages sufficient to either repair the house or
to recover any loss on sale, should you decide to sell it. Upon the
advice of an attorney, referral to the RI Real Estate Commission may
result in criminal charges against the agent and/or seller.

Before someone goes off the deep end and starts not only a civil
action, but criminal, don't you think it would be a good idea to get an
opinion from a structural engineer? All the OP has is an opinion from
"Basement Systems?", of unknown qualification. There are all kinds of
basement waterproofing companies that run around spewing FUD, with no
qualifications at all.