Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Odin Odin is offline

Default Mystery Wood

Looks like "Odum" (from west Africa). I found the sawdust very
irritating.

"Guide to Useful Woods of the World" claims Odum is "Milicia excelsa",
but their picture looks nothing like the wood I had. Mine looked
exactly like yours.

luck,
-j

Odum,( or Iroko, or Mvule) is very different...I have a large chunk
of "Milicia excelsa" cut in Uganda

I'd 'almost' be willing to bet this is Panga Panga "Milettia
stuhlmannii"...a 1st cousin to Wenge "Milettia laurenti"....I have a
large table & chairs made from Panga Panga. The color in the photo is
a bit off, and different samples will fool you, but that's the only
thing I know of that comes close.