Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob Lee Rob Lee is offline

Default Asked a commercial cabinet shop about their SawStop(s)

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:30:48 -0400, "Rob Lee"
wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
. ..
On 14 Sep 2006 17:36:44 -0700, "arw01"
wrote:

Been in production use for 2 years in the small building I was at. I
was told the main factory had another 12 of them. Last summer they
sold all the Powermatics and Unisaws (10) at an auction.

They loved the saw, and it had made two saves for them in the last 2
years, both ended up with a tiny scar after a band-aid was applied.
The workman's compensation claims would have been HUGE.

Alan

Since this is a controversial subject it would be appropriate for you
to name the organization that you speak of and provide contact
information so that others may check for themselves.

Frank

Frank - we've made exactly the same decision here... replacing all of our
table saws with Sawstops... (14 at least, probably more...)

I hope none of them ever goes off - but I can almost guarantee at least
one
will eventually. I can also tell you from personal experience that the
fine
for at fault accidents (and this is determined by a trial) is 100K. That
does not include Workmans Comp, legal fees, or management time.

I can also add that all of our staff really like the saw too...

I don't find two "saves" to be a stretch at all...

Statistically - an invidual isn't likely to lose a digit, and makes
decisions accordingly. Statistically as a corporation, we're likely to
have
an accident with the number of saws we have and the number of users - so
we
make our decisions accordingly.

Cheers -

Rob Lee

Good for you, Rob, and pardon my ignorance in the event you are a
regular poster to this newsgroup, well known to all but me, but who is
"we"?

Frank

Hi Frank -

I'm just a guy who doesn't like staff with with stitches....

(As noted - Lee Valley Tools.)

We have 13 stores - each with a woodshop (for staff to use, and for building
displays, giving seminars etc...). Our manufacturing and R&D shops also have
saws... Should also note that we've stopped using dado sets too... nothing
wrong with them, there are just safer ways to achieve the same thing in our
environment (many users, multiple skill levels).

I personally have an Inca with a sliding table (and riving knife) - so won't
be buying a Sawstop.

Cheers -

Rob