Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] nospambob@vcoms.net is offline

Default Best way to get cologne smell off of painted shelf?

Agree with shellac as a sealer but Bulls Eye is waxy shellac that some
topcoats would have adhesion problems while Seal Coat is dewaxed and
can be used under any topcoat. Both made by Zinsser.

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 17:11:31 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Patrick Maloney" wrote in message
.165...
I just moved into a new apartment and the linen closet has this smell in it
which smells like Old Spice or something. Looking closely at the shelves,
I can see a few spots that look like something was spilled (these spots
smell the strongest.

What can I use to clean this?

I see you got a lot of good suggestions. If they work, good. If they do
not work, put a couple of coats of Bulls Eye shellac on the shelves and
interior. That will seal in the odor and make it easy to clean.