Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al Big Al is offline

Default Leviton Push Button Timers 5A 20A ?! Huh

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 20:42:07 GMT, "Alan Smithee"
wrote:

I recently upgraded my bathroom fan from a on/off switch to a Leviton

switch
a "5, 10, 15, 30 minute" electronic model 6230M. I was thinking since

it's a
15A circuit and a bathroom fan that I'd hook it up using the "5 Amp"

wiring
diagram, a fan not going to pull anything near 5 amps right?. Black to

Line,
Blue to device and Green to ground, White/Neutral not connected. Well

that
didn't work. The LED didn't even come on. So, I change my approach to use
Leviton's "20 Amp" wiring diagram which basically just means that you

hook
the Leviton timer's white lead into the neutral as well. At first I

thought
that wasn't working either. When I put the power on the main line the LED

on
the bottom just blinked. I tried pushing some buttons and nothing, then
after about another minute it just started mysteriously working like it
should. I used a VO meter to test everything, the wiring is all as it

should
be. Do these switches need to "charge up" before they start working?

What's
with the 5 Amp circuit not working. Thx.

With that connection (the one without the neutral), the timer would
have to get its power through the load. This works with incandescent
bulbs. Fans are different. Those instructions probably said
"incandescent only" somewhere.

That "5 amp" connection would probably work with a light fixture using
up to 600W of incandescent bulbs.

I don't know anything about such a switch taking awhile to start
working.

Mark Lloyd

Haed to see, but here it is.
http://www.smarthome.com/4253.html