Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Canchippy Canchippy is offline

Default Mystery Wood

Steve S wrote:
Hi,

Of course it's probably only a mystery to me. I picked this up from a
guy who said it had been used as a science lab worktop, as it's the
type of wood that doesn't absorb the chemicals much.

href="http://picasaweb.google.com/stevesparrow/WoodTurningProjects/photo#4974713935401386002"Picture
here./a
http://picasaweb.google.com/stevespa...13935401386002

It feels a little like oak when carving, though it tears a little like
mahogany. I've asked the onyl two carvers I know, who both came up
blank. It cuts quite pale, and sands up like this, enhanced here with
danish oil.

Apols of this is a to oft asked question - I've searched similar
questions with no luck. Of cours eit's proably something very obvious!
As a carver I've seen a reasonable amount of wood, but as a new wood
turner I'm getting through wood much quicker now!

Looks like Meranti which has been long used as a cheap substitute for
teak, the traditional wood for lab benches. Meranti was used for dock
pilings as salt water worms and salt water have no effect on it what so
ever. Became a major source of rot resistant wood for replacement
window frames in Britain. It is like a hard oily mahogany.
Peter
Visit my site at:
http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/Galoots/pHyde/