Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan Alan is offline

Default Mountfield Mower / Briggs engine burning oil

I have a Mountfield Laser Omega 42 HP mower I've acquired recently which is
producing clouds of blue/grey smoke and dripping oil from the exhaust
silencer.

According to the sticker on it it's product code MP88901 made in 1995 with a
2.6Kw Briggs & Stratton engine.

I've only just got this mower and have no idea of it's history.

It seems to start easily enough but is either sucking oil from the sump and
burning it, or may have had a load run into the cylinder from improper
storage?

The oil level is between the dipstick marks, the fuel is fresh stuff and the
smoke / oil dripping is irrelevant of the choke position.

So far I've only run it for a few minutes due to smoking out the neighbours!

Does this sound like a seriously worn engine, or just accumulated oil in the
cylinder that should soon burn off?

If worn engine, what is the solution, will a new set of rings do it (does it
have any??) or is the cylinder likely to be excessively worn?

Thanks in advance,

Alan.