Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff Heathcliff is offline

Default Skim coat plaster

Pat wrote:
joeblow wrote:
I bought a fixer that was built in 1927. The walls are plaster that
have several layers of wallpaper and paint. There is evidence of lead
paint and do not want to take out walls and put in drywall. I would
like to skim coat the walls, sand and paint. The problem is that in
some places the paint is very loose on the underlying wallpaper. I
have scaped some of the paint off. Any suggestions?

Panelling?????

You could sheettock over the old wall. You have extend the boxes, etc.
Probably a good idea if you have unstable walls with lead paint on it.

I agree on this one. First, leaving the existing material in place has
many advantages both in terms of the scale of the project, and in
soundproofing the home; plaster walls make the house much quieter.
However, if the top layer of paint is loose, skimcoating may not be a
good idea since the skimcoat can only stick as well as what it's stuck
to, if you get my drift. You can get 1/4 inch thick sheetrock and put
that over the walls, that will make a nice smooth wall but you have to
adjust the electrical boxes (switches and outlets -- of course in a
house that old there is probably one outlet per room!) and think about
how it will work at door and window frames. Alternatively, you can
scrape stuff off until you get down to the plaster (or some sound,
well-attached layer) and then skimcoat. -- H