Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Steve S Steve S is offline

Default Mystery Wood

Hi,

Of course it's probably only a mystery to me. I picked this up from a
guy who said it had been used as a science lab worktop, as it's the
type of wood that doesn't absorb the chemicals much.

href="http://picasaweb.google.com/stevesparrow/WoodTurningProjects/photo#4974713935401386002"Picture
here./a
http://picasaweb.google.com/stevespa...13935401386002

It feels a little like oak when carving, though it tears a little like
mahogany. I've asked the onyl two carvers I know, who both came up
blank. It cuts quite pale, and sands up like this, enhanced here with
danish oil.

Apols of this is a to oft asked question - I've searched similar
questions with no luck. Of cours eit's proably something very obvious!
As a carver I've seen a reasonable amount of wood, but as a new wood
turner I'm getting through wood much quicker now!

Kind regards

Steve