Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch Patriarch is offline

Default MAILBOX PLATFORM

(J T) wrote in
:

Wed, Sep 13, 2006, 8:56pm (EDT-3)
(Steve*B)
doth wisely sayeth:
snip Then I lined a new shiny one with 3/8" plate, snip
Man, that's gotta hurt.

Heh heh. You've GOT to check the archives for the "mailbox"
thread. You're the type of guy that'd enjoy that.

By the way, before someone check the archives then starts whining
about "you can't do a mailbox like that", or "but that'd hurt some
poor innocent kid", I checked with the post office - all they require
is it be at the proper height, at the proper distance from the roat,
and an approved style box. Basically, if it's made out of structural
steel, and is the right height, and distance from the road, and looks
right, it's good. Then if some destructive idiot bonks it with a
baseball bat and the bat bounces back and gets him between the eyes,
it's the kid's own fault. I know damn well if I'd ever tried
something like that, and hurt myself, that MY parents wouldn't be out
blaming the homewoener, they'd be telling me it served me right.

JOAT
I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know"
damn well they're after me.

I remember that thread. It had fuzz on it when we redid our mailbox,
about 5 or 6 years ago.

Our mailbox got out of hand. The foundation is 18" deep (I live in
California, near Oakland - frost isn't a problem). The pillar is
concrete blocks, 24" across, poured and filled with concrete. The
pillar is veneered with fieldstone. The mailbox is brass, and there's a
cast stone cap on top. Looks beautiful! Cost more than my Unisaw.

But the post doesn't rot out. It doesn't need painting. And none of
the kids mess with it. Maybe it's the big, honking rose bush growing
around it all.

It should need replacing sometime early next century. ;-)

Patriarch