Grant Erwin

Default Stills and booze (was Waste oil heater)

I was in the Barcelona train station recently on a Sunday. There was a liquor
store that was closed. In the window were these gorgeous hand-hammered copper
stills used for making grappa or other distilled European wines. I swear if
that store hadn't been closed I would have shut my eyes and just handed them
my VISA card they looked so cool. When I got home, I checked - naturally,
they show up on ebay:

They can't legally sell a ready-to-distill setup in the States. But they
can and do sell you a ready-formed kit and give you step-by-steps to how
to seal it and prepare it for use. They have all sizes from tiny to huge.

I regretfully decided to pass, having blown my wad on a trip to Europe. If
you get one please post how you like it.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

michaeltcooper wrote:

Geoff, thanks for the offer. I've got several dead tree books on distilling
and apparatus... that's my problem: too many books, not enough time hands-on
actually building the stuff. (Damn that Lindsay...)