Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default building howe truss

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:33:13 -0400, Michael Daly
wrote:

kevin wrote:

Can anyone give me a hint as to how much load a very simply built howe
truss can take?

The load capacity will be as much a function of the joint assembly as anything
else. You'd be better off with a simple beam made of multiple 2x12s so as to
remove this complication from the task.

using a simple beam instead, even though it costs more... $60+ versus
some stock lumber I already have and can reuse later.

Small price compared to the consequences of failure.

COnsidering you can re-use the 2x12's later, too.

Is there a window in the wall-section you're supporting,
is the inner wall open to the studs, and is this
a side-wall or a gable-end? Screwing 2x4s to the inside
of the wall in a giant 'A' would go a long way towards
stiffening the system.