Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Home Sinking

Cristina62174 wrote:

I have no where to go with this and I'm seeking help.

It will be one year that I purchased my home at the end of this month.
I had a home inspection done and there was mention of fixing 2 cracks
in the basement. I had a representative from Basement Systems come to
my house today for a quote and he said he wouldn't even touch my house.
He stated that my house was sinking and he didn't know how it passed
the home inspection. Now I'm really nervous and concerned and have no
idea what to do now. Any advice anyone can lend would be greatly
appreciated.

Who/what is "Basement Systems"? What expertise/license does the guy
have? Did he put anything in writing? If there is nothing in writing,
I'd think about getting them out again. Or similar contractor. What
did he state as symptomatic that your home is "sinking"? Sounds a bit
like "I'm too busy .. think I'll get rid of some customers" kind of day.

If there is a warranty on the purchase, I'd pay attention to the fine
print about giving notice. Then I'd have a glass of wine and start
looking for reputable contractors who can assess the problem and suggest
corrective measures .. licensed, in writing, etc.

You got old coal mines or sink holes in the area? Underground rivers?
Other homes "sinking"? Age of home? Type of construction? If the guy
simply walked away, with no explanation or suggestions, it would not be
the guy I'd want to start doing major construction on my house.