Posted to alt.home.repair
Sherman Sherman is offline

Default electrical problem? Please help.

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 06:21:48 GMT, Remi wrote:

We just moved into a 60 year old house and discovered that my daughter's
electric guitar and amplifier won't work properly. There'a a loud hum
coming from the amplifier. It stops when she puts her hands over the
strings, but starts up as soon as she removes her hands. Could this be a
grounding problem? Any suggestions? (There's nothing wrong with the guitar
or the amplifier. She also has a bass guitar and a bass amplifier and the
same problem is occuring with them too). Thanks.

Amazing!

Do you have a long 3 prong extension cord? Try using it to plug
into a known properly grounded receptacle and using it instead and see
if it helps.

If it doesn't then you have other problems.