Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy alexy is offline

Default curved wall on kitchen island - can I use bead board?

I meant to include a disclaimer on the note below. My comments are
based on my very limited experience as a homeowner, using beadboard in
a small laundry room. So take the limitations of my experience into
account when reading my response. And I see from Dave (Teamcasa) that
true individual board stuff, rather than the doubled pieces I got at
the BORG, are available. In that case, I'd say your designer
mis-spoke.

alexy wrote:

wrote:

I am constructing a kitchen island that is the following shape:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...92434605VdWBtr
I would like to use bead board on the curved sides (other than the
cabinets which line the straight side.) Can this be done?

You may have to bevel the groove side of the T&G joint between boards,
and may also have to play with the tongue side if the curves get too
tight. And of course, you could get into custom milling if money is no
object. The only problem I see is that the BB I'm aware of looks to be
milled from 1x4 stock, with grooves in the center to look like another
T&G joint. So installed on a flat wall, this will look like 1.5"
boards. The fact that only every other "joint" is angled on a curved
wall may look funny.
My designer
says that bead board cannot be put over a curved wall.

Probably not strictly true--you could certainly have the appropriate
BB custom milled. But your designer's answer may be the realistic one
given budgetary limitations.