Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick Rick is offline

Default Installing radiant heat floor in shop

DAC wrote:
Private wrote:
IMPORTANT, If the tubes are poured in the slab they should be filled with
water before the concrete is poured in order to stop them from floating to
the surface of the concrete.

Good luck, YMMV

While I don't agree with the thought that water will keep the pipes
submerged, it really isn't an issue IF the pipe is stapled adequately
to the foam. Adequately would depend on your concrete guy...is it
going to be poured with a pump truck, slid down a half pipe, skid steer
over the edge etc. My thought is staples are cheep...don't skimp here.
The more the better.

DAC

We installed radiant heat in our new house last year. My memory is that
the contractor recommended re-bar rather than wire mesh, not for the
additional strength of the concrete, but because it allowed him to tie
the PEX tubing to the bar at a fixed height, preventing it from floating
anywhere in the concrete mix. He used a thermal reflecting blanket as a
moisture barrier as well as to minimize heat loss.

Rick
http://www.thuderworksinc.com