Posted to alt.home.repair
shawn shawn is offline

Default Hardibacker board vs Cement board for Garage/Mudroom shower.

i did my shower with hardibacker, i cut it by scoring line per
instructions...for other cuts i just used my angle grinder blade (use a
good respiration mask as breathing the dust is bad)

I knew nothing about it when i bought it, i thought it was water proof
(after seeing the displays in the store where it was in water) so it
sat in my trailer bed for a few weeks and a few rains, I noticed it is
pressed layers and if submerged long enough mositure will wick up a
little into the layers from the edges and can de layer the edges....not
that it is a concern just make sure you read the installation
instructions part on avoiding wicking moisture at the wall to floor
joint.

Anyways i liked it as tiling went fast on it nice surface, seems pretty
durable...i dont think i'd worry about it.

dont know nuthin about floors i'm on a slab. Read hardi's online
instructions and faq they're pretty complete.

Jack wrote:
I am finishing a new bathroom just off my mudroom/garage. I am trying
to decide if I should back ceramic tile with cement board or Hardi
backer. This will be for a very heavy use shower.. wash out camping
stuff.. push kids in when they come home from football practice all
muddy... not a powder room for makeup.. but a heavy use
shower/bathroom.

Cost: HB is about a buck more per sheet.. not enough to be a
deal-killer if Hardi-backer is better.

I have cut and hung a few sheets of cement board to finish off another
bathroom, it is heavy, but do-able. Obviiosly HB is lighter, and
would be easier to handle, but is it as durable in a heavy use shower?

Do I need a special blade for HB? I picked up a 5 dollar blade at
Harbor Freight that rips right through cement board, but at another
place I saw a blade especially for hardibacker and it was 50 bucks. Do
I need that special blade for HB?

Floor will be slate, is HB good to back slate floor tiles in a heavy
use area? Or am I better off using Cement board?