Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Bemier Joe Bemier is offline

Default drill slips under high torque?

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 23:54:07 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

Getting right to the point... I put a 1/2" drill bit into my new
Makita (6349D, a big/heavy drill), set it on high-speed 0-1700 rpm,
and drilled down through a 2x4. It was set to drill mode with the
clutch locked out, but it slipped anyway. I don't think it's the
drill bit slipping in the clutch. Is there a high torque override
that causes it to slip in the drill mode? Is there something wrong?
Or should I re-examine what is happening?

Thank you.

Current models seem to use keyless chucks and these can slip. I do
experience slippage from time-to-time. My first guess would be that
the bit is biting down and the bit/chuck is where the slippage is
coming from.