Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] kcmhansen@yahoo.com is offline

Default Broken garage door cable-need to close door

The bottom of the door it up near the ceiling. It stopped retracting
at the top of the last section of the door (the section that would be
touching the ground if the door was shut). The door can be pushed
completely up or pull down only to the top of the bottom door section.
The metal bar is at an angle, not severe, but definitely not vertical.
From inside the garage looking out, the metal bar was on the left side

and the cable that is off is on the left side. The wheel nearest the
top of the door on the right side came off but I was able to reattach
it and it's back in it's track. The left side of the door droops lower
than the right side.

Thank you for your considerate response. I truly appreciate any
advice. I do understand the dangers of tension springs and have no
intention of messing with the spring at all. My hope was that I could
perhaps rewind the cable around the drum and reattach to the drum &
door and get the door down tonight.

Bankerjohn wrote:
I'm trying to picture your situation! Where is the bottom of the door?
Up near the ceiling?, halfway down the door opening?, nearly down to
the floor? ... where did it stop when it retracted?

The "emergency" release which you say will not release is likely jambed
... is the metal bar (attached to the door at one end, and the chain
drive at the other) still close to vertical ... or is it cocked at an
angle?

wrote:
The door must have hit the bar pretty hard before retracting. The cable
on one side ended up looping around the tension rod and the garage
door was (and is still) stuck crooked and lopsided in the open position.