Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default Attempting new bathroom tiling from accumulated web knowledge - Am I nuts

On 13 Sep 2006 18:07:44 -0700, "Steve"
wrote:

Been researching bathroom tile installations for a new bathroom I would
like
to create in my house. Would anyone care to comment on some of the
statements
I have accepted as truth from my research:

1. Alcove tub/shower with tiled walls: Use a vapor barrier, 1/2" CBU,
and thinset. This is the second best option, but first for homeowner
timid about floating a mortar bed.

2. Tub/shower ceiling: Use green board and a high quality latex paint

3. Tub/shower ceiling: Marble tile on ceiling - Can't be done safely
by inexperienced homeowner.

4. Bathroom walls: Greenboard is better than blueboard/plaster.

5. If alcove tub tiles flange out of alcove to exterior face (for
decorative purposes) it is OK to mount these tiles on
blueboard/greenboard.

Love to have someone dispell any misconceptions before
purchase/install.

Thanks,
Steve

I would just add that for any paint in a bathroom, especially the
ceiling, I either use a paint with mildewcide (like Bennie Moore's
K&B) or add mildewcide to the paint.

Personally, I dont' like tile on the ceiling. The grout is too hard
to keep clean and mildew free.

HTH,

Paul