Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] kcmhansen@yahoo.com is offline

Default Broken garage door cable-need to close door

My daughter tried to shut the garage door (automatic door opener) with
an upright metal bar in the way. The door must have hit the bar pretty
hard before retracting. The cable on one side ended up looping around
the tension rod and the garage door was (and is still) stuck crooked
and lopsided in the open position. In a novice effort to rewind the
cable, I detached it from the door. Once I did that the entire cable
fell off. This all happened after business hours and I would really
like to figure out a way to get my garage door shut tonight and hope I
can get a repairman to fix it tomorrow. The house is less than 2 years
old. The spring is not visibly broken. The door does not appear to
detach from the electric opener, even after pulling the emergency
disconnect cord several times. Any suggestions for getting the door
down? Is there a way to reattach the cable to the drum? Any help will
be greatly appreciated!