Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default hot melt glue?

Hi Bruce

I use the hotmelt glue rarely, however it is one more arrow in your
quiver so to speak, and there are times it comes in handy.

First, you use it on dry wood, have your glue gun on for a long time so
it is really heated up well, then I use a propane torch to warm up the
wood so the glue doesn't cool as quickly, and than work fast, start
gluing in the center and spiral to the edge, join and clamp it down,
DONE.

O yes, and do have a look at Darrell Feltmate's website.
http://aroundthewoods.com/

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo
http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum26.html

Bruce Bowler wrote:
I've seen lots of references to using hot melt glue (HMG) to stick scrap
blocks to bowl blanks.

Is there a "preferred" formulation of HMG (are there different
formulations?)

What about quantity of HMG used (a few blobs vs "smear it everywhere you
can think of")?

It just seems to me that most of the HMG that I've seen barely holds 2
pieces of paper together, let alone a large hunk of wood spinning at
several hundreds of RPMs.

TIA,
Bruce

--
Bruce Bowler | Sisyphus was basically a happy man. - Albert Camus