Posted to rec.woodworking
jcatora jcatora is offline

Default Strength of an Screw Eyebolt???

Buck,

I wouldn't let the comments (mine or anybody else's) give you that
'bad' feeling. I feel pretty confident that a solution is there - but
I would add this one caveat...

If you were thinking of attaching this 2x6 from the *underside* (i.e.
on the ceiling - visible from below), I would caution against doing
that. If you lay your 2x6 ON TOP of the bottom chords of the trusses
(i.e. from the attic space), then those members are transferring their
loads to the bottom chords through simple 'bearing' -- any anchorage
you use (nails, lag bolts, etc) are simply holding the 2x6 in place so
that it wouldn't shift depending on the loading from the eye-bolts.

If, on the other hand, you *were* thinking of anchoring this from
below, then you are relying on the lag bolts to carry ALL the load into
the truss bottom chords. This might actually could be workable -- the
AITC (Amer. Inst. of Timber Construction) "Timber Construction
Handbook" has loading values for lag bolts in exactly this kind of
to how much load they would carry. BUT, if you're talking about
hanging some bicycles or other 'hardware' from these eye-bolts, that's
one thing. Placing a 'human load' on them (in this arrangement) is
something else - and I wouldn't do that if I had to rely on lag bolts
only to do it. There's just better ways when you are putting someone's
health and safety on the line.

If I were detailing such an arrangement for a client, I would -- as
noted -- place the 'structure' ABOVE the bottom chords (i.e. in the
attic) to get that 'bearing' type of load transfer. That will,
obviously, complicate the situation for 'already built' conditions --
tearing a hole in the ceiling and patching back.

But, the bottom line is that this *could* be done - and I wouldn't let
any comments dissuade you if you really want to pull this off. Just do
it the right way and you won't have any problems. Invariably, folks
tend to 'rewrite the laws of physics' (without thinking things through)
and that's when they get burned.

-- john.

buck wrote:
Tim.... Just when I think I am not going to do it...... You and John come up
with these good ideas...... :~)
-thanks but I no longer have a good feeling about this idea.

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message

"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Hey John................. Thanks for the great info. Appreciate the time
that you spent. I think you nailed it perfectly. I have come to the
conclusion from what was said in most of the replies is that there is
"considerable doubt" as to whether this is safe or not. I will error on
the safe side and pass on this idea.
As a final note................ Thanks to All for your super replies,
concern and time spent. I will now start on my new Rube Goldberg
idea.... :~)

-buck

Why not cut a hole in the ceiling just enough to get Johns strongback idea
up on top of the truss chords (ceiling joist). Patch and paint it back to
the way it was. The way I'm reading it, you was just going to put your 2
by 6 across 3 joists on the outside-underside of the sheetrock ceiling?