Posted to alt.home.repair
rob rob is offline

Default mildew resistant kitchen sink?

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:14:39 GMT, "peter" wrote:

My 20-year old ceramic (porcelain?) kitchen sink tends to grow mildew if
left alone for a few days. The mildew prefers to grow in the scratch marks
at the bottom of the sink.

Also, the bottom of my sink is flat, so some water tend to remain there for
a long time.

Would a new sink be more immune to mildew? What about metal sink? Are there
kitchen sinks made with a gentle slope at the bottom such that water would
roll off but dishes can stay put?

If it were mine, I'd use bleach at first to rid the sink of mildew,
then after it's dry, I'd wax it (so the water beads better) and then
every couple of days I'd spray vinegar on the sink to keep the mildew
away. You may have to apply the wax every month or two tho.