Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default hot melt glue?

"Bruce Bowler" wrote in message
news
I've seen lots of references to using hot melt glue (HMG) to stick scrap
blocks to bowl blanks.

Is there a "preferred" formulation of HMG (are there different
formulations?)

What about quantity of HMG used (a few blobs vs "smear it everywhere you
can think of")?

It just seems to me that most of the HMG that I've seen barely holds 2
pieces of paper together, let alone a large hunk of wood spinning at
several hundreds of RPMs.

Darrell is the grand guru of hot melt. Personally I find that it makes
mounting true on a trued piece more difficult because it's difficult to
squeeze and distribute evenly. Haven't played much with it since I got my
second chuck, save to attach a top to a box cut from the same stock to keep
the grain in register as I sand. Even there I find myself going to masking
tape now because it does everything I want with less fuss.

When I used hot melt on faceplate stuff I used to make concentric grooves
with the parting tool to hold the bead, squashing to as close as I could
with the tailstock.