Posted to uk.d-i-y
Newshound Newshound is offline

Default Very worrying burning smell from vacuum cleaner (Miele)

A bit off at a tangent, but a few years ago one of the vac's went bang and
tripped the RCD when I was at work and the wife was using it. Because she
really doesn't like electrical bangs she unplugged it and put it out on the
patio whereas I would have put it in the workshop. Just as well really
because a couple of hours later she looked out of the window to see it
blazing merrily, and she called out the local firemen. The added amusement
was it had started snowing by then and having kicked it well out of the way
of the house they had to fill in their form, and where they had to fill in
"Method used to extinguish fire" they wrote "snowballs".

The serious point is that most electrical stuff is self extinguishing for
your standard "frayed cord inside" type of fault, but vacuum cleaners with
their bag of fine combustible dust need to be treated with a bit more care.
If I had put it in the workshop I don't suppose we would have known about it
until it had reached the thinners, paint, propane cylinders.......