Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes Mike Barnes is offline

Default How do they regulate mains water pressure?

In uk.d-i-y, Roger wrote:
The message
from Mike Barnes contains these words:

Not for this area of Yorkshire. 400 feet between valley bottom and the
edge of urban habitation might be more typical but 500 feet was quoted
as it is the height difference on my hillside. Greater height
differences can be found. Queensbury, a suburb of Bradford, and little
more than 4 miles from the city centre is a good 800 feet higher.

More exaggeration, I suspect. Is it something in the Yorkshire air? The
AA route planner makes the distance 4.9 miles and Google Earth gives the
height difference as 711 feet.

Oh ye of little faith.

That's me! :-)

FYI I used Fugawi 1:50000, took the grid reference of Queensbury as
SE09962 30999, Bradford City centre as SE16462 32939 and computed the
difference by trig.

Isn't the length of the road(s) the important thing here?

[...]

As to height difference the figures above give 809 feet but moving off
the main road in Queensbury it is easy enough to find higher ground.
1200 feet at the upper edge of Queensbury housing and 1227 feet a few
hundred yards further on at the top of the hill in the hamlet of
Mountain. In Bradford City centre within a few hundred yards of City
Hall the ground drops to 312 feet so I could have with almost equal
justification claimed a height difference of 900 feet at under 4.5 miles
distance.

Isn't the height difference between the ends of the road(s) the
important thing here?

--
Mike Barnes