Posted to alt.home.repair
06FLSTCI 06FLSTCI is offline

Default "Singing" Lightbulbs???

Actually, I'm outside Boston.
The globes, bulbs, (whatever) are GE brand.

The dimmers are Lutron.

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:56:36 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

Have found that certain brands of bulbs, particularly cheap bulbs are very
noisy. Since you call them globes, you are probably not in North America and
use 50hz 220 volt. 50hz will be noisier than 60hz, and also the quality of
the dimmer makes a big difference. Here in North America I have found that
Philips bulbs generally quieter than Sylvania or private label bulbs
(despite the fact the Philips owns the Sylvania plant). Bulbs made in
different countries and for different frequencies and voltages may have
different performance.

"HotRod" wrote in message
Had the same problem in my last house, it came down to the fact that I had
the wrong balbs and that the lights that were installed were not designed
to be dimmed. See if you can get some different bulbs first but you may
just have a transformer that can't handle dimmed current.

"06FLSTCI" wrote in message

I have a three bulb (actually it's a three "globe"), fixture in my
kitchen. I turn it on with switches that have dimmers built in. It
all works great except one thing:

I notice that when the light is dimmed, (not turned on all the way),
the bulbs, (globes, whatever), hum. They make a very audible low
whistle. I can just turn the dimmer up all the way and it goes away.

These globes and the fixture all are brand new.
I assume there's nothing wrong or broken, just wondering if this is
common and if there's an easy fix.

Thanks!