geoff merryweather

Default Waste oil heater

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 21:31:34 -0500, "michaeltcooper"
wrote:

Glad you found it useful. The Journey To Forever site is very helpful on
lots of stuff. Good links to tons of info on homebrew stills. I'm planning
to build a waste oil heater to fire an ethanol still to get 190 proof, uh,
fuel. (Personal distillation for internal consumption is illegal in the US.
Go figure - you can *legally* brew beer and wine (and drink it) but it's
illegal to extract the alcohol you have created... It is, however, legal to
extract alcohol for use as a fuel.

There are a couple of PD e-books on distillation around - email me if
you want em. Distillation is legal here (New Zelaand) and I can buy a
still over the counter. Can't sell the booze, and it is "for home use
only". I think there is a limit ~50l per year before Customs starts to
take an active interest.
I haven't checked to see if waste oil is as readily available as it used to
be - I suspect that the Environazis make the typical oil change places
account for every drop.

Around here, it is a PIA to get rid of the stuff. It is one reason
the car has been going in to the garage for the oil changes recently.
Geoff