Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How do they regulate mains water pressure?

Roger wrote:
The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Do they have regulators dotted up and down the streets?

Where are they? Burried underground?

I always assumed they didn't.

That is the 5 bar we see here is the average height of the water tower
above my kitchen tap...its about 10 meters high and on land 40 meters
higher than we are..

But you live in flatland where 100 feet is a big hill. :-) The highest
point in Suffolk is only 419 feet AMSL.

Here in Yorkshire 500 feet is not an uncommon difference in height
between the top and bottom of an urban road. I live about halfway up
such a hill. I don't know the actual pressure (at a guess above 3 bar)
but it is quite high and before they replaced the water main and reduced
the pressure considerably it was horrendeously high. They must have some
means of regulating pressure.

Hedaer tanks and ball valves halfway up the hill ?

:-) :-)