Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default "Great Stuff" foam sealers

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...

Eigenvector wrote:
I was gonna seal the gap between my garage wall and the fireplace with
some
of that "Great Stuff" until I can afford the time to do a proper fix. My
question, would having this foam on the OUTSIDE of the fireplace (i.e,
the
part of the fireplace that isn't exposed to fire and is in fact not even
on
the same side of the wall as the hearth) constitute a fire hazard?

The gap is immense and the drywall needs to be replaced as there is quite
bit of water damage.

If there are other options, what would they be. I estimate the gap to be
roughly triangular, about 4 inches wide at the base.

That is what I used to seal mine up but I never use the fireplace. It
doesn't get that hot there but if you are concerned go to a plumbing
supply house and get some chimney cement or ask them for some
non-flammable stuff.

Question?
why is
flammable=imflammable
but
possibleimpossible

Well, actually neither. It is inflammable. So many people thought that
inflammable meant "it doesn't burn" that a new word, flammable, was made up
to prevent confusion.
No, really; look it up.