Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Gas leak at furnace

KLS wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 22:30:29 GMT, 46erjoe
wrote:

I smell a bit of natural gas somewhere near my gas forced air furnace
in my basement. I can't seem to locate it.

My question is: WIll the gas company come to my house and do the
detecting for me?

Yes. Call them immediately.

Will they fix the leak as part of their service to
customers?

If the "fix" just means tightening up some pipes and pipe joints, yes,
they probably will. Rochester Gas & Electric did just this for us 3
years ago when I kept smelling strong gas odor in my basement. The
guy tightened up two or three joints, voila, problem solved.

If, however, you have a faulty furnace or other gas appliance, no,
they won't, and instead, they'll red-tag the appliance until you get
it repaired properly.

Regardless, call them now for the detection service. It's for your
own safety.

Agreed. Call them immediately. Then go to your kitchen and mix up a
big old batch of water with a huge amount of dish detergent in it --
maybe 1:10. Get a brush or rag and go down to your pipes and get
everythign good and wet. All joints. All pipes. Everything. Look
for bubbles. Just don't put out your pilot. Search the whole system
and see if you find it. Check your stove and water heater and the
lines to them, too.