Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Remodelling & lead-based paint

RicodJour wrote:
wrote:
My husband and I normally do all the remodelling in this house.
Previous owners said the outside wood siding (underneath the current
vinyl siding) has lead-based paint on it. Had the whole house tested
and sure enough only the outside has lead.

Husband refuses to install two much-needed new bay windows in 2
separate front rooms. Called several "good" contractors in the area -
none of them have procedures to carefully remove old windows without
disturbing (or at least taking precautions against) lead-based paint
dust. One said he did this for 20 years and no one has ever asked him
about lead.

I have an infant whose new fascination is putting everything in her
mouth.

Am I being overly cautious? Should I just let the contractors do their
thing and just clean up stuff myself afterwards? (HEPA filters, TSP
soap, etc.) Is it unreasonable to expect a contractor to do things
properly with regards to lead?

Of course. For a price. As soon as you start talking about
remediation and abatement (lead, asbestos and other toxins) the price
jumps by a factor of five or ten.

Is it possible that those "badly needed" bay windows are actually just
greatly desired? If so, waiting until the kid outgrows the oral thing
might be the easiest solution. It's not like it's forever.

If you're sure it's only the old siding that has the lead paint it's
not such a big deal. If the window is shut tightly there's little
chance of any lead dust or chips getting inside. Cover the ground with
plastic tarps to contain the chips and small stuff and keep it out of
the soil. Demo just the siding, cut back as much as necessary to
facilitate patching so you won't be distrubing the lead-painted siding
again later on. Lightly spray down the affected siding area with a
mist of water (two gallon pump sprayer works well) as you work - that
will help keep the dust down. When you're done with the demo give a
final rinse, remove the window carefully, pick up the tarps and you're
done.

That's pretty much it. Work wet. Work carefully.

She doesn't need remediation or abatement. She need Lead Control and
Safe Work Practices. It should add much. You're probably used to
seeing remediation because you work on bigger projects -- so
remediation is necessary. But for this it is just control.

Might consider removing and replacing all wood around window that you
can get at without damaging siding, just to get rid of it.

Water can go down a drain. Put plastic in double garbage bags. Wrap
window and plastic.

BTW, Rico, did you know that on a Federally subsidized project that
needs remediation or abatement; that you can't enter the site without
taking the lead course. It's an interesting law because says the
architect and building inspector can't enter the work site. Talk about
a problem for getting draws. I run grant programs and I took the
course just so I can enter sites if I want to. It's a good idea for
architects for the same reason.

Pat.