Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin John Grossbohlin is offline

Default re-introduction

"Doug Stowe" wrote in message
oups.com...

John Grossbohlin wrote:
Nice to see you visit Doug.

RE teaching children. I had no luck finding any Sloyd books on
woodworking
so I've been teaching my boys how to do things I'm doing myself. Recently
had them resawing with a rip panel saw and then hand planning the board
dimension. They did a good enough job that I'm using the boards in a
project
for the drawer sides. Also had them scribe about 270 lf of sleepers for a
floor project and they've been helping me reside the house and paint.
They
started helping me with the renovations two years ago at ages 6 and 8.
They're old-pros now at 8 and 10! After hanging out with Roy Underhill
for a
few hours they have come to understand that you don't need power tools.
I'll
be checking out your blog!

John

John, you are doing the right thing with your boys. The important thing
about sloyd is the theory behind it...how the use of the hands
reinforces the development of intelligence (and so much more). The
sloyd books have become impossible to find. I'm still trying to get a
publisher interested, but haven't had luck as yet.

It is nice to see some old friends in the newsgroup.

very best wishes,

Doug,

You may be familiar with these already but I'll mention them anyway--because
I'd like some Sloyd books ;- ) :

Dover Publications and 10 Speed Press have done a lot of reprints of old
books...

The Early American Industries Association used to run a book service which
they are currently liquidating. They had reprints of a lot of old books,
catalogs, etc. and may be able to point to other publishers/printers above
and beyond Dover and 10 Speed. http://www.eaiainfo.org/

Graham Blackburn has Blackburn Books. http://www.blackburnbooks.com There is
an askBlackburn link on his web site and he can also be reached through

Toolbox Productions, Inc.
721 Broadway Suite 102
Kingston, NY 12401 USA

which is the outfit out of which he publishes Woodworking in Action DVDs.
I'm not sure if he does the actual production or not... there are some small
publisher/printers tucked away in the Catskills and he may be using one of
them for the printing.

Don't be a stranger, it's nice to see you back!

John