Roy

Default "swing over bed" Definition

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 20:13:44 GMT, "Pal" wrote:

===Is this the Maximum diameter a Lathe can turn?
===
===So if I measure 3" from the spindle center to the bed rail then the
==="swing over bed" would be 6"?
===
===
===Thanks in advance
===

Thats what I have always been told. Does not necesarily mean you can
do anything with it once you swing the max though. I ran into that
with my 13 inch JET with gap that supposedly allows swing of up to 22
inches. I can face things up to a certain point on the 22 inch diam
but working on the circumference edge is not possible without jumping
through a lot of hoops and making special tooling etc for access. The
cross slide does not retract far enough to allow proper or should I
say decent access to the circumferance of the parts your turning, ot
to get within 3 1/2" of the part during facing due to the extended
castings of the apron .

My max swing is 13" and if there was one layer more paint on my apron
it would have scrubbed it when I swung a 13" diam wheel.

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.