Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] barry@sme-online.com is offline

Default Help ! Water Heater Leak !

wrote:
Hello,
I noticed a leak from the top of our 15 year old Rheem water heater.
I touched the water and it was warm. So I looked near the hot water
pipe coming out from the top of the heater and that's where it seems to
be leaking from. So, I shut off the valve on that pipe, which means NO
hot water supply to the house. That stopped the leak from the top.

snip

At 15 years, w/h is almost certifiably in need of recycling. Because of
internal
electrolytic activity. Replacement is cheap, and reflects many
improvements
made over 15 years.

I'd round up necessary tubing and fittings to install new heater, and
enable
future r&r to be by breaking/joining unions. In fact, BTDT year ago.
Depends on
whether you're comfortable with plumbing- read that "sweating tubing
joints."

HTH,